Skip to main content

Visiting Pilots

Paraglider pilots who are visiting the San Francisco Bay Area can fly the BAPA regulated sites provided that they fulfill certain criteria and that they are in possession of appropriate proof of proficiency.

Foreign pilots can show an IPPI (International Pilot Proficiency Information Card) issued by their paragliding association instead of the USHPA rating. Additionally, the visiting pilots need to acquire USHPA (United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association) liability insurance. This can be accomplished by contacting one of the Bay Area’s site administrators, instructors or tandem instructors and buying a temporary 30-day USHPA membership.

Different sites have different rules, so please refer to the specific site in the site guide for more detailed information.

Site Guides