All Content

BAPA Meeting Minutes – October 7, 2017

Meeting held at Mussel Rock parking lot , precisely at the BBQ area. 

Twenty persons in attendance, including a visiting pilot from Amsterdam.

Some participants of a wedding , here to take pictures with the Ocean as background, took this opportunity to join us for a drink. Best wishes to the married couple.

Meeting called to order at 6:40 pm

The meeting was presided over by Dave McMillan, President

Due to the location and the time, it was a short meeting, intended to socialize, link and network with local flying people.

News from various sources:

USHPA semi-annual Board of Directors meeting in San Jose

The main events of this 3 day meeting (which has since been held) were announced and described

Christmas Party

Since the meeting Brightworks in San Francisco has volunteered to host the party on Saturday December the 2nd at 7:00pm.

An official message has already been sent

BAPA website

The new website is almost ready to go , but we need a Webmaster

Julie has been the BAPA Webmaster for 17 years, and has been trying to get someone else to take it over for the past 5 years.

Daniel will continue to do the coding.

Shane Easton graciously volunteered, and 

Mayumi Honda proposed to help for the Art design part.

Mount Umunhum

Was officially open to public Monday September 20.

Someone went there but was not attending the meeting.

BAPA Officers yearly election

The current nominations are:

President : still open

Vice President: : still open

Activity Director: There may be a candidate but the name is not confirmed yet

Treasurer: David Zbin

Secretary: Daniel Bremond

Site Director: Evan Cohen

Safety Director: Bob Posey

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 PM

The entertainment part of the meeting was the BBQ and Pot Luck food while socializing with the attendants and visitors

BAPA Meeting Minutes – 6/12/2017

The meeting was held at BrightWorks school in San Francisco.

BAPA would like to thank BrightWorks for their support  and for hosting several BAPA events.

The meeting started at 7:30PM, but the room was available since 6:30 PM to allow people

to dine and socialize. (Pizza provided by BAPA)

23 members were present

Everybody introduced her/himself including a new member Steve Albany, P2.

 News from various sources:

 1) USHPA Board of Directors

 The Fall Board of Directors will be held in San Jose (California) from Thursday  October the 19th to Sunday the 22nd.

Thursday will be “Ice Breaker Day” and locals clubs and pilots are invited to participate. Please mark your calendar if you are interested and look forward for more info.

 2) BAPA Website

The new website is almost ready, and may still need to have the Flying site Info added.

 3) Mussel Rock Weather Station

Rick Cavallaro is working to install a new wheather station for Mussel Rock.

A motion was voted to allocate $300 to cover the expenses.

 4) Competition teams

Following several demands one motion passed to donate $200 to the US X-Alps team,

 and one motion passed to donate $200 to the US-World Team

 5) Mount Vaca

Juan is working hard in order to officially use of this site.

So far, there is a launch, but no place to land.

We hope to be able to use LakeCurry as Landing Zone, and for that the site needs the BAPA support  and sponsorship for the insurance.

A motion passed to allocate $300 for related expenses, and BAPA agreed to become the official site support

 6) Mount Umunhum

The opening dates have been confirmed. The latest communication reads:

Public demand was high and reservations for this event are now full.
Mount Umunhum's summit and trails
open to the public beginning on Monday, September 18.

  • Complete information about visiting Mount Umunhum will be posted online prior to September 18.
  • A self-guided audio tour will be available for download to enable you to experience the many stories of Mount Umunhum.
  • Stay tuned for information about upcoming interpretive programs and docent-led tours taking place at Mount Umunhum after the summit opens to the public.

Updates will be posted at www.mountumunhum.org.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM

 The entertainment part of the meeting wasTonia Reinys, MD and Emily Reinys, MD leading a First Responder Workshop tailored for Paragliding activities

BAPA Meeting Minutes – 1/25/2017

BAPA Meeting Minutes – January 25, 2017

 The meeting was held at a new location in Sunnyvale. (the same used by Wings of Rogallo).

 Address: Vitos Famous Pizza, 1155 Reed Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA, 94086

We had a private room and the flexibility to arrange the tables the way we wanted.

(in addition to order food and drinks)

The meeting was registered and can be viewed on the web using the following url

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ANkmUwWKY

This was also the url used for remote attendance thru the web.

In order to improve attendance, the meeting started at 7:30PM, but the room was available

since 6:30 PM to allow people to dine and socialize.

19 members were present including Jugdeep Aggarwal USHPA Region 2 Director and

Julie Spiegler USHPA Project Manager.

Between 3 to 5 persons attended on line.

One new member: Mat, P4 moving from Germany.

 

   Officer and Contributor Reports:

1) Sophie Bourgoin Treasurer

Sophie disclosed to present members the balances of the various financial accounts.

2) Daniel Bremond Secretary

Nothing to report, except the status of Mount Umunhum. (see below)

3) Brad  Bass Activities Director

3.1) Just got answers from the survey. Analyze of the results next month

3.2) How to get people more involved?

A long discussion followed and the following ideas were suggested:

- Involve Instructors, and have them attending the BAPA meetings

- Mega / huge Fly-ins. Example Dunlap, XC league

- Community better served with more Fly-ins and parties.

- The topic of bringing everybody together on April 8 will be more investigated

3.3) Schedules for XC League and Sprint League are available on the website:

SantaCruzParagliding .com

 4) David McMillan President

4.1) Since the meeting, the position of Safety Director has been filled by Robert Posey

One of the duties is to participate to the Chapter Renewal paperwork’s.

4.2) Chapter Renewal site insurance: Due March first

4.3) MountTamalpais; Remember, you need to get the annual sticker to be

allowed to fly. Contact: Wally Anderson

4.4) Our member Josh Cohn won a big competition. Congratulations.

4.5) Gavin McClug Film. Will be shown in March for a fundraiser.

4.6) Mount Umunhum: Will be open to public in 2017. Due to the funding voted by

Santa Clara County (Measure AA) progress are made faster than scheduled,

but due to recent heavy rains the project may be delayed and no official

date is available so far.

 4.7) Tree Rescue Kit. Today stored in Jug’s garage.

Created sometime ago. Clinic in the past.

Should we use it? If yes we need trainings and a storage location.

5) Susan Kent Membership coordinator (thru the web)

The association accounts for 146 members. Only half of them have renewed so far.

Remember that members having not renewed on March first will be disabled in

the database

6) Daniel Kelley Website designer

The new website is still in development

Programmed in Python

7) Fatality at Mussel Rock

President David asked for a minute of silence in order to honor the memory of

Solomon Lee who died after landing in the water.

One member  present that day told us that there was no beach, the pilot was

too low and rescuing him was very dangerous.

A long discussion took place, and the main items to take away are:

- Never, never, never land in the water. (except if you wear a life jacket and

have a rescue boat waiting for you).

- Do not fly if you do not have a landing area that you can reach with a sled ride

from where you take off.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 PM

 

 

 

BAPA Meeting Minutes – 3/22/17

The meeting was held at Vitos Famous Pizza,1155 Reed Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA, 94086

The meeting started at 8:00PM, but the room was available since 6:30 PM to allow people

to dine and socialize.

15 members were present including Jugdeep Aggarwal USHPA Region 2 Director

Everybody introduced her/himself.

Disclaimer: As since the meeting some info may have changed or new info may bee available,

in order to avoid confusion the minutes will reflect the last info available even if some may not

have been said during the meeting. When possible occurred changes will be noticed.

   Officer and Contributor Reports:

1) Sophie Bourgoin Treasurer

Sophie disclosed to present members the balances of the various financial accounts.

2) Daniel Bremond Secretary

Since the meeting the opening date of MountUmunhum has been released.

Here is the content of the flyer:

MountUmunhum: A Mountain Made of Stories
Grand Opening Weekend

Saturday, September 16 and Sunday, September 17, 2017

Those interested in attending can learn more and sign-up for updates at www.mountumunhum.com

Don’t miss this historic weekend and help create Mount Umunhum’s next chapter as one of the Bay Area’s great publicly accessible peaks.

3) Brad  Bass Activities Director (by email)

A long list of activities has been published

A super mega fly-in is coming April 29-30. The goal is to have a huge participation that bring everybody together. 

Other news from various sources:

Several volunteers worked on the road to the top at Ed Levin Park.

Works are in progress for the RadioTower.

Mission: The road to launch is closed and is not supposed to be open before mid of April.

Ranger reminder: You cannot climb over the gate.

Reported by Mayumi: A banditos flew Mission. Another flew without carrying a reserve.

Reminder: At Wendy Hill, there is a 4000 feet ceiling.

The Gavin McClug movie was screened at Stanford last month. Jug was present.

It will be screened again at the inaugural DocLands Documentary Film Festival, May 10-14, 2017, presented by the California Film Institute.

Airspace change: FAA airplane routes have been changed recently and created a lot of comments and complaints in Sunnyvale (thru the Social Media Nextdoor).
Fellow Feathers are very active in following the impact on Mussel Rock.

The conclusion so far: Our flying may not be impacted 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM 

The entertainment part of the meeting was Jugdeep Aggarwal introducing this year XC league and Sprint League.

 The Sprint League is for newer XC pilots and the XC League is for more experienced pilots.  

All information about the Leagues can be found on the website:

 

http://www.santacruzparagliding.com

BAPA Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2016

Meeting held at Mussel Rock parking lot , preciseley at the BBQ area. 

20 to 30 persons in attendance (BAPA members and/or local HG/PG pilots)

 Meeting called to order around 6:50 pm

The meeting was presided over by Dave McMillan, President

 Due to the location and the time, it should be a short meeting, intended to socialize, link and network with local flying people.

    Officer and Contributor Reports:

1) Dave McMillan President

1.A) Mount Tamalpais

In summary to date:

Due to the USHPA insurance requirements there will be only one chapter

managing this site. The HG one, managing HG and PG.

BAPA will collaborate and support half of the insurance cost.

Wally will be the PG manager.

The main difference is that the allowing stickers will need to be renewed every year.

 1.B) New Mission Webcam

Thanks to Ron from Australia and to Evan Cohen for being instrumental on

setting up this cam.

 1.C) Christmas Party

It will be held on December third at BrightWorks in San Francisco.

Mark your calendar and look for more info to come.

 1.D) Dunlap

The owner of the LZ passed away.The site was shut down, then it just re-opened.

We don’t know what will happen. Will the familly keep the site?

1.E) BAPA Officers yearly election

The current nominations are:

President: Dave McMillan

Vice President: : still open

Activity Director: still open

Treasurer: Sophie Bourgoin

Secretary: Daniel Bremond

Site Director: Dan Retz

Safety Director: Harry  Sandoval

The vote will be thru the internet . More details coming

 1.F) Monster Mash Flying

Canceled due to the past wild fire

 1.G) Training

There is a demand for weather clinic

We are looking to have a first Responder clinic early February.

 2) Susan Kent, Membership coordinator

 2.A) Why to be a BAPA member?

BAPA contributes to several site expenses. (Mt Diablo, half of Mt Tamalpais, The Stables)

BAPA wants to keep Mussel Rock “unregulated”

BAPA runs clinics, maintains windsocks.

BAPA contributed to USHPA insurance

How could we encourage instrusctors to suggest studdents to become BAPA members?

 

An advantage your BAPA membership gives you: (from Ricardo)

You have access to Mountain Hardware Store in Richmond which sells

outdoor equipments for half of the market price.

 The meeting was adjourned at 7:13 PM 

3. The entertainment part of the meeting was the BBQ and Pot Luck food

while socializing with the attendants.