BAPA Meeting Minutes – 1/25/2017

BAPA Meeting Minutes – January 25, 2017

 The meeting was held at a new location in Sunnyvale. (the same used by Wings of Rogallo).

 Address: Vitos Famous Pizza, 1155 Reed Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA, 94086

We had a private room and the flexibility to arrange the tables the way we wanted.

(in addition to order food and drinks)

The meeting was registered and can be viewed on the web using the following url

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ANkmUwWKY

This was also the url used for remote attendance thru the web.

In order to improve attendance, the meeting started at 7:30PM, but the room was available

since 6:30 PM to allow people to dine and socialize.

19 members were present including Jugdeep Aggarwal USHPA Region 2 Director and

Julie Spiegler USHPA Project Manager.

Between 3 to 5 persons attended on line.

One new member: Mat, P4 moving from Germany.

 

   Officer and Contributor Reports:

1) Sophie Bourgoin Treasurer

Sophie disclosed to present members the balances of the various financial accounts.

2) Daniel Bremond Secretary

Nothing to report, except the status of Mount Umunhum. (see below)

3) Brad  Bass Activities Director

3.1) Just got answers from the survey. Analyze of the results next month

3.2) How to get people more involved?

A long discussion followed and the following ideas were suggested:

- Involve Instructors, and have them attending the BAPA meetings

- Mega / huge Fly-ins. Example Dunlap, XC league

- Community better served with more Fly-ins and parties.

- The topic of bringing everybody together on April 8 will be more investigated

3.3) Schedules for XC League and Sprint League are available on the website:

SantaCruzParagliding .com

 4) David McMillan President

4.1) Since the meeting, the position of Safety Director has been filled by Robert Posey

One of the duties is to participate to the Chapter Renewal paperwork’s.

4.2) Chapter Renewal site insurance: Due March first

4.3) MountTamalpais; Remember, you need to get the annual sticker to be

allowed to fly. Contact: Wally Anderson

4.4) Our member Josh Cohn won a big competition. Congratulations.

4.5) Gavin McClug Film. Will be shown in March for a fundraiser.

4.6) Mount Umunhum: Will be open to public in 2017. Due to the funding voted by

Santa Clara County (Measure AA) progress are made faster than scheduled,

but due to recent heavy rains the project may be delayed and no official

date is available so far.

 4.7) Tree Rescue Kit. Today stored in Jug’s garage.

Created sometime ago. Clinic in the past.

Should we use it? If yes we need trainings and a storage location.

5) Susan Kent Membership coordinator (thru the web)

The association accounts for 146 members. Only half of them have renewed so far.

Remember that members having not renewed on March first will be disabled in

the database

6) Daniel Kelley Website designer

The new website is still in development

Programmed in Python

7) Fatality at Mussel Rock

President David asked for a minute of silence in order to honor the memory of

Solomon Lee who died after landing in the water.

One member  present that day told us that there was no beach, the pilot was

too low and rescuing him was very dangerous.

A long discussion took place, and the main items to take away are:

- Never, never, never land in the water. (except if you wear a life jacket and

have a rescue boat waiting for you).

- Do not fly if you do not have a landing area that you can reach with a sled ride

from where you take off.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 PM