- Last Updated on Sunday, 21 August 2016 16:23
Meeting held at Red Lobster, Milpitas, CA.
7 members in attendance in person.
And 2 attendants over video streaming
Meeting called to order at 7:45 pm
The meeting was presided over by Dave McMillan, President
First time attendee:
One person not yet pilot, and
Ron from Australia, Paraglider and Hang Glider living near Mission peak
2.Officer and Contributor Reports:
Sophie Bourgoin Vice President
Attended 4Th of July BBQ and July Wings Of Rogallo monthly meeting
Susan Kent, Membership coordinator (on line)
Suggested to publish more actively to encourage remote attendance.
Ross Strickland, Activity Director
The 4th of July BBQ at Mussel Rock was a big success
Ross also provided some details about the following week Hat Creek Fly-in
End of August (the 27th) there will be at the Ed Levin Picnic.
It is a great way to promote Paragliding. Local Instructors are encouraged to come by.
Dave McMillan President
We need to replace several windsocks at Mussel Rock.
Geary ordered them for a cost estimated between $450 and $499.
Daniel B, moved to allocate the money. Ross S seconded.
The motion passed with 6 votes “Yes”, no vote against or abstention.
Parking at Mission Peak:
Bob Posey went to the last meeting and the new rules will go thru.
Accidents at Mussel Rock:
Dave M said that Mussel Rock is a source of accidents. Last year was the worst in term of accidents. This year we already accounted two water incidents.
Daniel B responded that neither BAPA nor USHPA are doing all they can do to minimize accidents. In consequence, we get what we deserve.
Then Daniel listed the actions we missed that could reduce accidents:
1) BAPA voted few years ago against encouraging the HelmEtiquette.
2) When questioned during the previous BAPA meeting, an USHPA Director did not supported it either arguing that Paragliding is “Free Flight”.
3) Daniel recalled that HelmEtiquette is wearing your name and ranking on your helmet.
4) By this way BAPA members could spot at Mussel Rock the new comer pilots (and may be banditos), and engage a discussion to be sure that they are insured and had a site intro.
5) Daniel also recalled that the USHPA magazine does not report anymore (like in the past) recent accident analyses, turning blind eyes on these accidents. An USHPA Official questioned recently, acknowledged the negative impact of this lack of information.
6) So in conclusion Daniel pointed out to don’t be surprised if RRG become expensive.
We have found a volunteer for it, and works are in progress. It was suggested to have a special technical meeting for it in order to define what we want to put in it.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50 PM
5. The entertainment part of the meeting was Marco Pontil talking about an initiative to provide tandem paragliding experiences to communities of folks with disabilities or cancer
The full meeting can be streamed at the following url:
(cut and paste url in your browser. Duration 1h17mn)