BAPA is obligated to nominate officers for the next year before our November meeting so that we will have time to elect our officers prior to the early December Holiday party.
I will then compile the nominations for the November 5th BAPA meeting in Milpitas.
BAPA Members and Bay Area Pilots,
One more reminder that this Saturday, September 20th, 2014 from 9am-noon is the California Coastal Cleanup Day.
ALSO - there is a parallel cleanup effort taking place at the Stables, under the coordination of David Sondergeld. If you would like to participate in that effort, please reach out to Dave at the number below:
Volunteers should plan to meet at the Paraglider Island in the Mussel Rock parking lot by 0900. There will be coffee and bagels provided by BAPA.
More Information on the event can be found on the Pacifica Beach Coalition's website: www.pacificabeachcoalition.org
Please make a serious effort to come out this Saturday morning to volunteer and show the community that we as paraglider pilots are committed to preserving this spectacular part of California's coast that we all love to fly.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
See you all on Saturday!
BAPA Activities Director
July 23, 2014 BAPA Meeting Minutes.
Written by Daniel Bremond.
Due to summer activities, the meeting was exceptionally held at the end of the month at Red Lobster Restaurant in Milpitas.
The meeting was called to order at 7:13 p.m.
In attendance were 11 paraglider pilots including Julie Spiegler, Bay Area Pilot and Project Manager at the USHPA, and today’s Guest of Honor: Mike Pekin from Sand City.
The meeting was presided over by President Dave McMillan.
Guest of Honor: Mike Pekin talks about Sand City
During his presentation, Mike drawn the landscape, recalled the past and pictured the future of Sand City.
In short, the key points to remember:
- Sand City is now a private land owned by a Real Estate Developer.
- Paragliding is still possible following few mandatory rules.
- The most significant of them are
- To be a certified USHPA pilot with available evidence.
- Before flying, contact, introduce yourself and get the approval of the Security Guard.
- A BAPA Committee will be created in order to explore and improve the co-existence between pilots and property owners, and investigate if the site needs/can be insured.
Dave M – President
Topics discussed included:
- Chelan Accident: Recall of safety rules.
- Mussel Rock. An USHPA banned HG pilot seen at Mussel Rock
On behalf of Robin C – Treasurer excused, BAPA has 154 members.
Will W – Activities Director
- The Hat Creek and Potato Hill fly-ins had good turnouts.
- New events in preparation: Fly-in at Potato Hill at end of September, and Ed Levin Picnic in September.
- Several BAPA women pilots did very well at the Rat Race:
- Susan first, Mayumi 2nd and Julie 3rd in their various categories.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
The entertainment part of the meeting was presentations and comments of pictures taken by several persons during various recent national competitions.